The main purpose of Java Code Coverage Analyzer project is finding out the coverage analysis of the different java classes. It uses the white box testing strategy. Its main purpose is to help the programmer to find out the errors using the fault localization technique. This fault localization technique helps the programmer to concentrate on the local view rather than the global view.ie this coverage tool helps programmer in which part the error is present by identifying suitable test cases.
Various types of test Java Code coverage analyzers have been developed. Most of these are proprietary and not freely available. We have identified some such tools. Koalog instruments JVM to get the coverage information. It gives class coverage, method coverage and line coverage information. It generates the coverage report for each test case and we can merge two or more coverage reports to get cumulative information.
We can take the snapshot while program is in execution. This tool gives interface to set filters like regular expressions to choose specific classes or methods. It generates the report in HTML, XML and ASCII format. Here we have to compile the code with –g option. We should run programs on JVM which supports JPDA. But it does not go with source code instrumentation, which is efficient than interpreter instrumentation.
For Design Details View this video
Test coverage analyzer is a tool which helps in doing coverage based testing. A test coverage analyzer can show the portions of a program that have not been covered during testing. This information is essential for performing coverage based testing. Some of the uses of the coverage information for a tester are:
- By looking at the uncovered portions of a program for a given test suite, the tester can prepare additional test cases to achieve more coverage. So, it helps in accelerating the test activity.
- In regression testing we can choose those test cases which actually execute the modified statements. So, it helps in regression test case selection.
- The tester can identify the dormant code in the program easily.
- We can associate color with the covered statements depending on the percentage of passed test cases so that fault localization can be done easily.
- Number of defects present in the program can be estimated.
- The quantitative measure of coverage information can be used to know the progress of testing.
- Quantitative measure is also helpful in identifying redundant test cases. Redundant test cases are those test cases that will not increase the coverage.
Download Java Code Coverage Analyzer Project Source Code